Duty Free and Tax Free
Duty Free Allowance / Tax Free Allowance
When travelling from the EU to the UK you do not have to pay any tax or duty on goods you have bought in another EU country as long as tax was included in the price when you purchased the items, the items are for your own use, and have been transported to the UK by you. This includes gifts, but does not include any item that is intended to be used as payment or to be resold.
Although there are not any limits on goods brought in from Europe, a Customs Officer will probably ask you questions if you appear at the airport with more than:
- 800 cigarettes, or 400 cigarillos, or 200 cigars, or 1 kg of smoking tobacco
- 110 litres of beer
- 10 litres of spirits
- 90 litres of wine
- 20 litres of fortified wine e.g. port or sherry
When travelling from outside the EU to the UK you are allowed to bring in the following, provided you travel with the items yourself and they are for personal use:
- 200 cigarettes, or 100 cigarillos, or 50 cigars, or 250g of tobacco
- 4 litres of still table wine
- 1 litre of spirits or strong liqueurs over 22% volume; or 2 litres of fortified wine, sparkling wine or other liqueurs
- 16 litres of beer
- up to £390 worth of all other goods including gifts, perfume and souvenirs (£270 if arriving by private plane or private boat)
Duty Free at Edinburgh Airport
World Duty Free is located after security at Edinburgh Airport and is open for all international and domestic departures. You can't miss it - it is straight ahead of you when you come out of security!
If flying within the UK and EU, why not make use of the Shop & Collect service? You can do all your shopping before your flight, and simply pick it up once you land after your trip! This way, you don't need to worry about trying to fit that extra shopping into your suitcases, or worry about breaking any fragile items.